Monday, December 26, 2011

Covers ... a Quandary

I find myself beginning to second-guess my choice of providing my own cover art.

If this were 1982, I think my covers would be perfectly competitive with a lot of mainstream cover art in the fantasy genre. It's clearly not the work of a Whelan, Frazetta, Boris, or Sweet, but I recall tons of covers from that era and from the '70s whose art I would consider these the equal of.

But the bar is higher now, and I don't know that it's a great compliment to say, "This cover reminds me of a lot of the books I got from the old Science Fiction Book Club decades ago."

So I'm thinking perhaps I need to raise my own bar a bit, bite the bullet, and shell out to commission some art from a more proficient artist and graphic designer.

Feedback, of course, is always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment